Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Luck of the Irish to You

Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone! If I had a pint of Irish whiskey, I’d put a shot in my coffee and toast to us all with a lovely Irish Blessing. Instead, I’ll show pictures of my St. Paddy’s Day celebration  tree.

St. Patrick's Day tree 003

It’s hung with Victorian cones (even though the Brits and the Irish didn’t always see eye to eye…remember the words to “The Wearing of the Green”)…but the rest is pure Irish in sentiment…Lovely Irish lasses dance around the base…

St. Patrick's Day tree 004 A nutcracker stands guard over the green and gold…

St. Patrick's Day tree 002

We celebrate the day not because there’s a drop of  Irish  anywhere in our bloodlines, but because it is Michael’s mother’s birthday. She passed away in 1993, but the tradition of having a celebration to mark the holiday is part of our family. One of her little gnomes joins us every year…

St. Patrick's Day tree 011

The picture is a bit fuzzy since gnomes are so elusive and hard to capture…the same is true of her felt leprechaun. He has a pinback and was made by one of her friends so that she would have green to wear on her special day.

St. Patrick's Day tree 014 He has a little pipe cleaner body and holds a shamrock balloon…the fact that he’s handmade by one of her friends makes it easy to see why he’s my favorite… Several years ago I made pins for a St. Patrick’s Day program in my Beta Sigma Phi chapter. I tried to incorporate as many Irish traditions as possible into the round disk…the Claddagh, the Celtic cross, the leprechaun, the shamrock, and a musical note.

St. Patrick's Day tree 022

Lots of the members still pull their pins out each year…maybe someday far in the future a daughter or grand daughter will still be wearing one of them because one of her Oma’s friends made it…or not…We are lucky to spend the day with our friends in blogland…drop by Beverly’s How Sweet the Sound to see who is posting for Pink Saturday on this special Green Pink Saturday.

11 comments:

Melissa said...

Your tree is beautiful! I've never seen one like it. Great job!

Abby / Linda said...

Love your tree and the reason for your celebration!

Warm Heart Bears said...

Thank you for sharing you goodies. Happy St. Patrick's Day and Pink Saturday from Warm Heart bears and The Patchwork Ark.

Gypsea Nurse said...

HPS! So glad my mini pirate isn't lurking over my shoulder.. he is a nutcracker fanatic!!
Enjoy your weekend!
Smiles~
Gypsea Nurse

scarlett clay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scarlett Clay said...

woops, not sure what happened the first time...here goes again! :)

Awesome!! We have absolutely no decorations at all so what a treat to see yours, love the Irish paper lasses, they're so lovely! Love the Nutcracker, took, that's so fun! happy St. Patty's Day to you, too!

Unknown said...

Happy Pink n Green Saturday, Laverne!

Love your St. Patty's tree. Clever idea! Great nutcracker!

Have a lovely weekend!
Cheers!
Tina

Chubskulit Rose said...

So beautiful!

Pink slippers, hope you'd come and see. Have a blessed Sunday!

Nancy said...

That's so neat - you got all decked out for St. Patrick's Day. Your little vintage leprechaun is so cute. Thanks for the big pictures of my book - I think it's sooo wonderful. It will be a huge surprise when it comes as I can't remember squat anymore! Did you get my "Blue Moon" book or did Barbara keep it? I know I asked but as I said I can't remember! Tell Michael Happy Birthday again from me - hope it was a good day for him. xo Nancy

Chris said...

Hi Laverne, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

new outlook said...

microsoft outlook 2010 lets you drag and color-code tasks and e-mails on its calendar; Microsoft Outlook 2010 download e-mail and calendar, the 2007 version offers welcome changes that can save time and keep you on your toes.



Limping Deer and the Twins

Limping Deer and the Twins
They are still spotted at this time.

Show and Tell Sunday June 15

Flea Market Finds...sounds like my whole house and yard...

Milk Glass Collection

Milk Glass Collection
Who knew that a 25 cent flea market find would unleash such a collecting frenzy? I never pay more than a dollar unless it's a really nice piece. They are great grouped with a single daisy in each.

These used to be inexpensive florist vases in the 50's and 60's. Everyone's Grandmother had bunches.

Mexicana Dishes

Mexicana Dishes
My sister found these for me at Bussy's Flea Market in San Antonio, Texas. I had seen pictures in her Fiesta reference book. Mexicana was also made by Homer Laughlin in the 30's. I had been looking for several years without ever finding even a single piece when she found the set...with a promise to hold it for us, she came running to find me and I bought the entire set...60+ pieces for $50.

Mexicana

Mexicana
I've added to the set over the years, but the price and experience will never match that first amazing find.

Vintage Kitchen Hutch

Vintage Kitchen Hutch
When my hubby found this hutch it was Pepto pink and I was not 100% sure about it. But with a new red back and fresh white paint and refurbished hardware, it became one of my favorite pieces.

Nancy made me save the vine

Nancy made me save the vine
The vine and flowers painted on the inside were in such bad shape that I was ready to remove it all. Nancy -My Crafty Little Page convinced me to keep it and after some touch-up work, I'm glad I listened to her. My husband restores vintage Cushman motorscooters and he tries to make everything "mint" condition again. The Shabby Chic movement came along just in time to keep me from making some terrible mistakes.