Friday, March 2, 2012

Circle journals left and right…lots of Pink

A Circle of Friends circle journal being hosted by Beverly is starting the third of ten exchanges…After Nancy created her  book titled Wise Words, she sent it to me. I completed two pages and sent it on to Sheila. I took advantage of being the first one in the circle to add to  Nancy’s journal. Since we have been friends since high school, I used an old high school yearbook quote…

nancy's book 002 

Then I added a snip of vintage lace that I had dyed with a natural vegetable dye…well, actually it’s a fruit dye…

nancy's book 001

it’s made from avocado peels!!! That’s right, avocado peels…when boiled for a while, a deep pink dye is produced…each time I’ve done it, the color varied a bit. This batch is more peach than pink, but the process is fun. I’ve dyed burlap that turned out much “pinker”. I read about how to do it while making Pink Saturday rounds, but since I didn’t “pin it”, I can’t remember where the method was posted . If you can remember, refresh my memory, please. I’d like to credit the creator. Nancy’s two page spread is loaded with Pink, but I’m not showing pictures til the Big Reveal  in October.  Here is a tiny scrap of vintage wallpaper that fits the tones she has selected…nancy's book 003

While we’re in the circle journal mode, look at a smaller version based on the color blue.

nancy's book 012

I’m working with another group on a music theme book. There are five of us making books based on songs with “Blue” in the title. Mine is Lavender Blue, Barbara’s book uses Elvis’s Blue Suede Shoes for its inspiration. Patty picked Blue Hawaii;  Judy went with Blue Bayou and Nancy’s book is Blue Moon. We met in January at my house to work on our covers then Nancy hosted for Valentine’s week to finish our first set of pages. I used lots of pink in my pages.

nancy's book 014

nancy's book 016

This spread has some vintage pink trim with some bead work added.

nancy's book 017

I colored a picture of a French villa and added a bit of a map of France because Lavender reminds me of France. It’s funny that the city of “Nancy” is shown on the map!

nancy's book 018

I tried my hand at a watercolor of a lavender plant. Let’s just consider this like a “before” in my watercolor career…

nancy's book 019

We do have fun doing our Craft-therapy…another fun thing is visiting Beverly every Saturday to put our attitudes “ in the Pink”. Thanks for stopping by. Leave a comment and I’ll try to return the visit. It may be a while, we are heading south for our spring vacation and I’ll be away from the Internet. Have a Pink Week.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

These are such pretties & I love the rhymes ... brings back many a memory.

I hope you will pop by to help us bring 'angel love' for a young girl who is sick.

Thank you.
Have a beautiful PS weekend ~
Marydon

Nancy said...

Your lavender book spread is really, really beautiful. It has an ethereal feel to it. Truly gorgeous. I finished Judy's and told Barbara to bring her book to me. Rules are made to be changed on the Books of Blue!
Oh I was one of the three who did not need to be surprised. I'd be just as happy to see all of your pics of my book. Beverly, Kay Ellen and I all said show now! What I did see looks wonderful. Love the lace. I saw avocado died lace on a blog today. It's such a different and pretty shade of pink.
Have a wonderful cruise - no rocks and no fires and no stuck at sea! xo Nancy

Custom Comforts said...

Oh how I love that vintage wall paper. Could look at it's pretty colors all day long.
Cindy

Scarlett Clay said...

Have a wonderful time on your trip...I love taking the visual 'trip' through all of your artistic journal creations in this post, you have so many wonderful things to show, love the blue journal, so pretty..can't wait to see more of the circles, I've never seen those!

dana said...

Wow...another cruise. Have fun...but be careful...and pay attention!!! We want you back safe and sound! :)

I LOVE that blue journal you YaYa's are doing!! I love the style that you and Nancy use for your journals....so "free and relaxed" and yet so pulled together!!!

Enjoy your spring break....I don't think I've ever had one....enjoy it for me, too! :)

HPS!! L, Dana

monah http://graciouscottage.com/ said...

Hi,

I am visiting you for Pink Saturday.

I like Your creations. Very warm & detailed.

Please visit me too.
monah

Marti McClure said...

Laverne, I just love seeing everyone's work in the circle journal project. Your pages are fabulous! I love the lavender themed book. Happy Pink Saturday. ~Marti

RobinfromCA said...

I just love your circle journals! Paper crafts make my heart smile and I love all of the embellishments you've added to your pages. Thanks for sharing!
Robin

Anonymous said...

Pretty, pretty! I love the avocado dye tip. Must try that. Happy Pink Saturday!

Anonymous said...

Some awesome picture ..... nice

make money products

Anonymous said...

I was one of the three who did not need to be surprised. Because I was really I was surprised from the beginning .

home design ideas



Limping Deer and the Twins

Limping Deer and the Twins
They are still spotted at this time.

Show and Tell Sunday June 15

Flea Market Finds...sounds like my whole house and yard...

Milk Glass Collection

Milk Glass Collection
Who knew that a 25 cent flea market find would unleash such a collecting frenzy? I never pay more than a dollar unless it's a really nice piece. They are great grouped with a single daisy in each.

These used to be inexpensive florist vases in the 50's and 60's. Everyone's Grandmother had bunches.

Mexicana Dishes

Mexicana Dishes
My sister found these for me at Bussy's Flea Market in San Antonio, Texas. I had seen pictures in her Fiesta reference book. Mexicana was also made by Homer Laughlin in the 30's. I had been looking for several years without ever finding even a single piece when she found the set...with a promise to hold it for us, she came running to find me and I bought the entire set...60+ pieces for $50.

Mexicana

Mexicana
I've added to the set over the years, but the price and experience will never match that first amazing find.

Vintage Kitchen Hutch

Vintage Kitchen Hutch
When my hubby found this hutch it was Pepto pink and I was not 100% sure about it. But with a new red back and fresh white paint and refurbished hardware, it became one of my favorite pieces.

Nancy made me save the vine

Nancy made me save the vine
The vine and flowers painted on the inside were in such bad shape that I was ready to remove it all. Nancy -My Crafty Little Page convinced me to keep it and after some touch-up work, I'm glad I listened to her. My husband restores vintage Cushman motorscooters and he tries to make everything "mint" condition again. The Shabby Chic movement came along just in time to keep me from making some terrible mistakes.