Friday, July 9, 2010

Lilies are loving the rain

 

I have some lovely lilies to share today…they’re getting ready for Pink Saturday and they are turning out to show off…Ready to open…on Wednesday while it was misting.

IMG_0852

Along with their darker pink cousin lilies…

IMG_0856

I don’t know the names of any of them, just their provenance…these came from Uncle Arno and Aunt Hilda by way of my mother who gave me a blub several years ago…now I have at least six…and you can see how many buds are in each bloom…I count nine or ten for sure.

IMG_0855

I try to keep them trimmed as the spent flowers begin to fade…they look prettier with just the fresh flowers…and I think they keep producing more buds…the white spider lilies are also just starting to bloom…they came from my sister by accident…she thought she was giving me elephant ear bulbs…she got them from her friend, Kathy, I think. They are probably my favorites.

IMG_0854

When they first open, they are  really star shaped…

IMG_0858

But as they spread out, they become more round in the center…kind of like me…spread out and round in the center.IMG_0859

They also have lots of buds in each bloom. Sometimes we have so many that I cut them and bring them into the house.  Now if my sister reads this, she’ll think twice about digging up mystery bulbs for me again….I think I’ll tag a few to dig up this fall…I should return the favor…it’s the Pink thing to do, don’t you think?

Head on over to Beverly’s house at  How Sweet the Sound to get the list of today’s list of Pink Saturday participants http://howsweetthesound.typepad.com/my_weblog/

and then stop in to say “Hi” to Yoli at Apron Senorita http://apronsenorita.blogspot.com/ We visited last Saturday and found out that we both grew up in  the Rio Grande Valley in deep South Texas! Not only that , but we both live in the same central Texas town now!!!  It’s a small world in blogland for sure!!! She has the most amazing list of daily and weekly blog parties…you love something? there’s a weekly blog celebrating it…you collect something? it’s on the list somewhere. her list is worth the visit! Happy Pink Saturday to one and all.

6 comments:

Sue McPeak said...

The lilies are so gorgeous with sparkles of rain drops. The pinks are so rich and this is the first time I've seen the Star Shaped ones. I bet they add a special look to a picked bouquet. What a nice surprise when they came up instead of elephant ears. Isn't this rain in Texas something else? We are sure not use to it here in West Texas. Have a great Pink Saturday....Sue

Nancy said...

Wow - those dark pink ones are beautiful! Aren't you just loving this rain. I'm so thrilled it's July and things are green (and pink in your case). After last year how could we ever complain about rain? ttyl! xoxo Nancy

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Your lillies are beautiful!! It has been in the 90's here for the past few days and it has taken a toll on my lily !!

HPS!!

Debbie

Kathy said...

Hello, they're related to my Milk and Wine lilies! I received a bunch from my friend Nancy, I will be getting some like yours soon! They are marvelous and their bulbs grow to be very, very large!
Happy PInk Saturday,
Kathy

★Carol★ said...

Well, there's two things I've never seen before. Such deep vibrant pink lilies, and spider lilies! I plan to plant more lilies this fall, and these are definitely going on my list. I'm so excited!
Happy Pink Saturday!
Carol

Apron Senorita said...

Hi Virginia, I have put some miles on my car again. Friday morning I drove to Weslaco to see my grandmother, who is still holding on. Saturday morning I headed back home to NB be with my aunt in San Antonio. She has cancer and I felt I needed to be there with her. I just got home a while ago and it sure feels good. I sincerely appreciate you mentioning me in your post. That is so week.

I work 8am-5pm, but if you ever want to get together for tea or coffee please feel free to email me at apronsenorita@yahoo.com anytime.

Take care and thank you for praying for my abuelita!

Yoli :)



Limping Deer and the Twins

Limping Deer and the Twins
They are still spotted at this time.

Show and Tell Sunday June 15

Flea Market Finds...sounds like my whole house and yard...

Milk Glass Collection

Milk Glass Collection
Who knew that a 25 cent flea market find would unleash such a collecting frenzy? I never pay more than a dollar unless it's a really nice piece. They are great grouped with a single daisy in each.

These used to be inexpensive florist vases in the 50's and 60's. Everyone's Grandmother had bunches.

Mexicana Dishes

Mexicana Dishes
My sister found these for me at Bussy's Flea Market in San Antonio, Texas. I had seen pictures in her Fiesta reference book. Mexicana was also made by Homer Laughlin in the 30's. I had been looking for several years without ever finding even a single piece when she found the set...with a promise to hold it for us, she came running to find me and I bought the entire set...60+ pieces for $50.

Mexicana

Mexicana
I've added to the set over the years, but the price and experience will never match that first amazing find.

Vintage Kitchen Hutch

Vintage Kitchen Hutch
When my hubby found this hutch it was Pepto pink and I was not 100% sure about it. But with a new red back and fresh white paint and refurbished hardware, it became one of my favorite pieces.

Nancy made me save the vine

Nancy made me save the vine
The vine and flowers painted on the inside were in such bad shape that I was ready to remove it all. Nancy -My Crafty Little Page convinced me to keep it and after some touch-up work, I'm glad I listened to her. My husband restores vintage Cushman motorscooters and he tries to make everything "mint" condition again. The Shabby Chic movement came along just in time to keep me from making some terrible mistakes.