Friday, September 9, 2011

Pink Saturday… Quiet Sunday

Like most of Americans, we will spend this weekend with a lump in our throat. Our generation joins our parents and grandparents as we recall exact details of where we were when we heard of attacks on our shores…Pearl Harbor was still fresh in the memories of my mother and father until each of them passed away decades later…September 11th  will be the same with each of us. But life goes on and we find ways to heal.

september lilies 003

Last year I posted pictures of my little red lilies. Mother had given me a few bulbs years ago. She called them “Back to School” or “September Lilies” because they start to bloom when school starts in  September.  I was afraid they might not survive the summer 0f 2011 when so many of our lawns are drying up.

september lilies 002

Last year I said they would always remind me of September 11, and they do.  Right now, in spite of a terrible drought and weeks of triple digit heat, those brave, hearty little red lilies are blooming their hearts out.    Our nation is sad this weekend, but we are brave and hearty and we can still find beauty. God bless our nation and the men and women who defend her. God bless us as we remember our  loss. Pray for Peace. Find and celebrate beauty. Beverly has taught us well. Have a Pink Week. Enjoy your visits at How Sweet the Sound and with the Pink Saturday community.

5 comments:

pinkkandy said...

It's another Pink Saturday...and I pray each one of you will have a great week-end..and even some pink sugary fun! God Bless you
Kandy

Nancy said...

I wonder if Myrtles will come up after the fire? I always love seeing them and think of you telling me what they are called. See you tomorrow. xo N

dana said...

This is such an awesome post, LaVerne.

You are right. We are remembering 9/11 just as our folks before us had to deal with Pearl Harbor. Yes, life does go on as you said. I just want us to keep the memories alive of the attacks on that day for years and years to come. We became too complacent as a nation..and we can never let our guard down again. Sadly, we are so accessible to those who want to do us harm...but it is also that very accessibility and freedoms that we enjoy that make good folks want to come to our shores in the first place.

I am so glad your Lilies survived the wicked heat you all have endured....it gives us hope.

Have a good weekend and a HPS. L, Dana

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! Hope you're having a great week!

HaPpY pInK sAtUrDaY!
Sarah

promotional mugs said...

Before two days, I went in our old house and i wonder to see their garden. There are so many plants are growing between old furniture. But it is also one of the great beauty of nature.



Limping Deer and the Twins

Limping Deer and the Twins
They are still spotted at this time.

Show and Tell Sunday June 15

Flea Market Finds...sounds like my whole house and yard...

Milk Glass Collection

Milk Glass Collection
Who knew that a 25 cent flea market find would unleash such a collecting frenzy? I never pay more than a dollar unless it's a really nice piece. They are great grouped with a single daisy in each.

These used to be inexpensive florist vases in the 50's and 60's. Everyone's Grandmother had bunches.

Mexicana Dishes

Mexicana Dishes
My sister found these for me at Bussy's Flea Market in San Antonio, Texas. I had seen pictures in her Fiesta reference book. Mexicana was also made by Homer Laughlin in the 30's. I had been looking for several years without ever finding even a single piece when she found the set...with a promise to hold it for us, she came running to find me and I bought the entire set...60+ pieces for $50.

Mexicana

Mexicana
I've added to the set over the years, but the price and experience will never match that first amazing find.

Vintage Kitchen Hutch

Vintage Kitchen Hutch
When my hubby found this hutch it was Pepto pink and I was not 100% sure about it. But with a new red back and fresh white paint and refurbished hardware, it became one of my favorite pieces.

Nancy made me save the vine

Nancy made me save the vine
The vine and flowers painted on the inside were in such bad shape that I was ready to remove it all. Nancy -My Crafty Little Page convinced me to keep it and after some touch-up work, I'm glad I listened to her. My husband restores vintage Cushman motorscooters and he tries to make everything "mint" condition again. The Shabby Chic movement came along just in time to keep me from making some terrible mistakes.