Friday, June 3, 2011

Happy Pink Saturday…Meet “Stumpy” our Little Miracle Deer

This week again I want to share Pink Attitude story…a story about a little doe who has the most amazing Pink Spirit…It’s corny, so be warned…Every afternoon hubby and I put out a little extra feed for our deer friends. It’s not much…some shelled corn, leftover tortilla chips the day after Mexican food night,  half a loaf of bread, apples, just a little extra food and a few more calories to help them out during dry times. But we love to watch  several of them eat the bread. …we call them “the Bread Eaters”. They prefer white bread over whole wheat…wouldn’t you think the reverse would be true?

IMG_1248

But the bland white bread seems to be agreeing with them…just look at that beautiful coat. Most of them are pretty healthy.

Today I want to share a remarkable deer survival story. Two years ago one of our fawns broke her leg right at the hoof. I saw her running along the river bed with that broken hoof flopping like a stretched out sock…it was horrible and for the next few days Hubby and I fretted over her fate…we were certain she would suffer a slow wasting death…we could hardly talk about it… then one day she showed up at the feeder dragging her little foot hobbling around on  the remaining broken bone of her rear leg…she ate corn and was getting around pretty well…eventually she lost the hoof and the bone healed over…well,  it became our mission to make sure she got a pile of corn all to herself every day and a slice of bread when she wanted one…we never thought she would make it through that winter. We kept track of the days we saw her…we counted up days she went missing…we cursed every circling vulture in the sky…but then, like a miracle, she would show up…she can run with the best of them and it’s only when she is walking slowly that you notice the obvious limp. We started calling her Stumpy.

  If she were a real wildlife deer out in the countryside, she would never have survived, but here in town on the river with water close by and neighborhoods with lots of shrubs and kind people putting out extra grub, she made it through her yearling stage…she had a good summer last year, again made it through the winter and this spring?…you guessed it…she was obviously pregnant. The worry and fretting started all over again…how could she feed a fawn?…what dangers were waiting for the offspring of such a handicapped mother? We have yet to see her with a fawn that we can be sure belongs to her…Hubby saw her at the feeder with a pair of young today,  we don’t know if she has twins, or if she was on babysitting detail…and  maybe only one was hers…We have become more calm about her fate. What Stumpy reminds me is that I need to have faith that all is well and while Nature can be cruel, animals have courage and an amazing willpower to survive.  I told you it was corny, but we love that little deer for her will to survive.

To me Pink Saturday is about looking for and finding the beauty and the joy around us every day. Stumpy is that for me.  Look at her picture…yes, she’s deformed…but she’s also incredibly strong of spirit…Pure Pinkatude.

IMG_1253

Next week I promise real pink…and now to Beverly’s house… our Pure Pink Hostess for a list of happy Pink Saturday posts.http://howsweetthesound.typepad.com/

5 comments:

Shabbyprimdelights said...

what a wonderful story. It must be amazing that the beautiful creatures come and eat from your yard. I too would feed them...I am a sucker for any animal.
HPS
Michelle

Tami @ Creative girl Vintage said...

Oh my goodness that is the sweetest story of the day! What a pure spirit that beautiful animal has...and how kind you and your husband are to watch over her. You are so blessed to have them come and visit..and I would be the first in line with a slice of bread too! Giant hugs...xo Tami

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

Hi Laverne,

I so enjoyed your tale of the deer that live among you and your neighbors. We took care of a stray baby deer that swam out of one of the lakes on our property. We had 40 acres so no neighbors anywhere...we took it in and raised it on fresh goat's milk. We had a dairy goat herd that we milked twice a day. The deer grew into a healthy thriving creature...it was a joy to have the opportunity to save him...many told us we should have left him alone and let nature take its course....everyone that told us that lived in town...I really think you have to be exposed to wildlife to truly start understanding how nature works and when and when not to intervene.

Have a lovely day filled with lots of PiNk Sparkles!

Hugs,
Stephanie ♥

Jany Schindler said...

You sound like me. I do the same thing, feed the deer what ever they will eat.And yes I too have discovered that they like white bread instead of wheat, weird.I buy several of the .99 cent loaves at a time.I also found they love banana peels. Anyway thanks for sharing.
ENJOY!
Jany

Anonymous said...

What a great story, LaVerne. The deer in your area are lucky that they do have sweet folks like you all to help them out with extra food. Sadly there is a huge overpopulation of deer in our area....even around the airport here....and a local park and lots and lots of deer/car wrecks in the fall. My daughter's car suffered from a deer jumping out in front of her car...in a very populated part of our city. I feel sorry for them hanging around areas that are not necessarily safe for them....but also know they do it to hunt for food.

They are truly beautiful creatures.....and I know I'd be just like you guys...worrying over their welfare.

Happy belated PSat. on this post. dana



Limping Deer and the Twins

Limping Deer and the Twins
They are still spotted at this time.

Show and Tell Sunday June 15

Flea Market Finds...sounds like my whole house and yard...

Milk Glass Collection

Milk Glass Collection
Who knew that a 25 cent flea market find would unleash such a collecting frenzy? I never pay more than a dollar unless it's a really nice piece. They are great grouped with a single daisy in each.

These used to be inexpensive florist vases in the 50's and 60's. Everyone's Grandmother had bunches.

Mexicana Dishes

Mexicana Dishes
My sister found these for me at Bussy's Flea Market in San Antonio, Texas. I had seen pictures in her Fiesta reference book. Mexicana was also made by Homer Laughlin in the 30's. I had been looking for several years without ever finding even a single piece when she found the set...with a promise to hold it for us, she came running to find me and I bought the entire set...60+ pieces for $50.

Mexicana

Mexicana
I've added to the set over the years, but the price and experience will never match that first amazing find.

Vintage Kitchen Hutch

Vintage Kitchen Hutch
When my hubby found this hutch it was Pepto pink and I was not 100% sure about it. But with a new red back and fresh white paint and refurbished hardware, it became one of my favorite pieces.

Nancy made me save the vine

Nancy made me save the vine
The vine and flowers painted on the inside were in such bad shape that I was ready to remove it all. Nancy -My Crafty Little Page convinced me to keep it and after some touch-up work, I'm glad I listened to her. My husband restores vintage Cushman motorscooters and he tries to make everything "mint" condition again. The Shabby Chic movement came along just in time to keep me from making some terrible mistakes.